12 Essential Natural Remedies for Dogs with Arthritis Pain
Arthritis is a very common disease for many dogs today. Generally, arthritis is the tenderness or inflammation of the joints. Dogs affected by arthritis suffer severe pain, discomfort, and stiffness. It becomes extremely difficult for a dog affected by arthritis to make normal walking, running, jumping and even routine work.
In such a situation, dogs become hapless. Dogs can be affected by arthritis for many reasons. Especially, older dogs are more prone to be affected by arthritis. There have been many studies of dog arthritis over the years. Now, we have got some effective treatment methods that have been developed through research to help dogs with arthritis. But the harsh truth is that there is still no treatment or therapy available that can cure dog arthritis fully.
However, with some therapy and medications, you can at least give some respite to your arthritic dog. Today, we are going to talk about some treatment methods that will help you to manage your dog with arthritis and keep him fit. Okay, now lets a have a look at the methods that have been discussed below……….
1. First, consult a veterinarian: if your dog suffers pain in moving or jumping, take your dog to a veterinarian immediately. A professional veterinarian can diagnose arthritis correctly and provide your dog with proper treatment and medication.
2. Proper weight management: overweight can worsen the condition of arthritis in dogs because extra weight puts extra strain on joints. As a result, pain in the joints increases to a greater extent. So, make sure that your dog does not put on extra weight. Use natural foods to keep your dog slim.
3. Exercises and rest: it is very important to keep your dog active with ample exercises and rests to get rid of the pain of arthritis. Your dog needs to move his arthritic joints regularly so that he suffers less from pain and stiffness. But, remember that exercises should not be very long or tough. Don’t forget to give your dog ample rest after every exercise.
4. Home condition: condition or atmosphere at home should be comfortable for your dog as cold and damp atmosphere aggravates arthritis. Keep your home warm and dry as much as possible. The more your home condition is comfortable, the more your dog will get relief from the pain.
5. Proper bedding: because of arthritis, dog’s joints get sore. So, to relieve his joints aches, give him a comfortable and supportive bed where he can rest on. There are many dog beds available on the market today. These beds are not very expensive. So, choose one that is warm, well-padded, and safe.
6. Massage and therapy: you can give your dog some massages or therapies to heal his pain. The mostly used massage for the dogs is the canine massage. It reduces the stress on the joints and decreases aches. Massages help your dog keep fresh. It also helps keep the dog’s blood pressure low. Orthopedic and physical therapy may be another option to relieve the pain of your dog.
7. Proper supplementation: you need to give proper supplementation to your arthritic dog to recover from severe pain. Supplements that contain anti-inflammatory substances should be provided to decrease joints inflammation. Vitamins C and E supplements also work well in mild arthritis. Omega-3 fatty acid; mostly found in sea fishes is another supplement that contains high anti-inflammatory effect. It is very effective to heal the extreme joint pain caused by osteoarthritis.
8. Proper medication: use pain medication if your dog’s arthritis is advanced. Some of the commonly used pain medications include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and disease-modifying osteoarthritis drugs (DMOADs). These drugs are widely used to relieve pain. Also, surgery can be an option in advanced arthritis. But, consult a veterinarian before giving any drugs to your dog.
9. Using ramp and pet steps: you may have a big dog that cannot be lifted or moved easily. In this case, use ramps or pet steps for your dog so that your dog feels comfortable while jumping. Dog ramp surfaces are designed to provide traction so that your dog feels no pain on the jump. You can also use stair treads for your staircase at home.
10. Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a Chinese form of complementary medical practice that entails stimulating certain points on the body. It is most commonly used for pain relief. Not only can acupuncture be applied to human beings but also it can be applied to animals too. Many pundits say that acupuncture can heal the pain caused by osteoarthritis. So, you can try acupuncture for your arthritis affected dog.
11. Heat therapy: there are many therapies being used to treat arthritis in dogs. Of them, heat therapy is one of the popular ways to relieve aches. Basically, heat therapy is applied using heating pads. Heating pads are designed to keep your pet warm and comfortable. This therapy works great at cold nights.
12. Applying natural remedy: you can also try some natural remedy to treat your dog with arthritis. Some of the well-known natural options include Ayurveda, (BOSWELLIA and ASHWAGANDHA) sodium oxide dismutase (SOD), Pau D’Arco, Glucosamine, chondroitin, turmeric (Curcuma longa) etc. these all are the herbal remedy that are commonly prescribed for animals suffering from arthritis. These herbals offer strong anti-inflammatory effect which helps to lessen the inflammation between the joints. Thus, relieves the pain caused by degenerative joint disease like arthritis.
13. Taking care of your dog: you need to take good care of your dog to get rid of arthritis. Keep your dog’s nail trimmed all the time. Give him healthy foods; make your home more comfortable for your dog. This is how you can give relief to your arthritic dog.
These are the ways through which you can help your arthritic dog. But we highly recommend that you should consult a professional veterinarian before applying any of these methods. A veterinarian can help you find the right treatment methods and medication. Don’t get disappointed if your dog gets affected by arthritis. Surely, your dog will be relieved if the right methods are applied.