If you’re in the market for a best heavy duty dog crate, you may not know which model is the right one for you. There’s a whole lot of options on the market now, including the Soft Dog Crate, Wire Dog Crates and Plastic Dog Crates.
Taking care of your furry is just like taking care of your baby!
Yes, buddy, having a dog in the house is like a full-time job. Like children, they need proper care.
The time had gone when people brought a dog and just think of dog food. Nowadays, remember that your pet is a member of your family that expects special attention and care. The care, transfer, and training of your pet easily and safely are possible if you have the perfect heavy duty dog crates for puppies at home.
Finding the best dog crate for large dogs is so important. Otherwise, it will be a prison. You must take into account the size, ventilation for easy air flow, durability, safety, lightweight and more when selecting a dog crate. Making a right decision is not always a simple task. Don’t worry; we are here to assist you. We have researched and experimented over three months on the dog cage. Finally, we have listed the 8 heavy duty dog crate reviews.
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Dog Crate
- Here is an Updated List of the Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates in 2021
- 1. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage, Editor’s Pick
- 2. Extra Large Double Door Metal Dog Crate, MidWest Homes SL54DD
- 3. Two Door Indoor Outdoor Pet & Animal Kennel with Tray, SmithBuilt PET-CAGE-Z48
- 4. iCrate Single Door & Double Door Folding, MidWest Homes for Pets 1536U
- 5. Life Stages LS-1636DD Double Door 36″ Folding Crate
- 6. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
- 7. Ulitma Pro Metal Dog Crate
- 8. Walcut Heavy Duty Strong Metal Pet Dog Cage
- Wrapping up
Factors to Consider When Buying a Dog Crate
Beside dog harness and dog stroller, Dog Collar, you have to take into account many things when you want to give your puppy full comfort. You won’t like to punish your dog by making a wrong decision when buying a dog crate. Proper safety and comfort are essential for the dog. The heavy dog crates can easily satisfy your dogs with the needs. Let’s see what the other things you should focus on are.
- Types of Crates for Dog
Not all cages are created equal and with the same specification. While there are several types to choose from, you want to make sure that the one you choose has the appropriate size for your hairy one. The two most popular types of cages are plastic and metal. Another common cage is metal
- Wire cage:
Made of metal bars and are available in various sizes. The dog wire cage is the most popular option. In principle, this cage is usually provided with a door in the front. Also, they usually have extra doors depending on the size of the cage.
The cool dog crates feature a removable tray that slides very easy for fast cleaning. However, this type of cage is sufficiently ventilated and allows the dog to see its surroundings.
- Plastic cage:
The strengths are that this type of dog cage is made of plastic, lightweight and portable. Although most of them do not fold flat, the portability of the plastic cage is a convenient option.
Also, it offers privacy to your partner, which helps you feel safe. These may not be the first option for a cage in the home.
This because they provide less visibility to the puppy. However, if you plan to travel by plane, this is a great option for all airlines.
- Metal Crates:
These are an excellent option when training a dog to use a cage. Its foldable and mesh-like structure makes them easy to disassemble and transport. And when they are built, they provide a high level of visibility and ventilation for your puppy.
Like plastic ones, these cages are also easy to clean in case your puppy has an accident. They are resistant and often leak proof. These are a great option to raise a puppy since you can buy a larger size and easily close the extra space with a separator.
- Other cages for dogs:
You can also choose for
- An elegant wooden box,
- An aluminum cage or a metal cage
- A nylon cage with flexible walls or an outdoor wire cage.
Additional Important Features to consider
We have to take into account many things when buying a dog crates. You won’t like to punish your dog by making a wrong decision when buying a dog crate. Proper safety and comfort are essential for the dog. The best heavy dog crates can easily satisfy your dogs with the needs.
First of all, finding a cozy and comfortable dog cage depending on the situation is one of the priorities for many dog owners. This guide will help you find the perfect cage for your pet.
Here are some of the key factors to consider when buying a dog cage:
- Size of the box:
The cage should be large enough so that the animal can stand and turn on itself. But small enough so you can’t mess up your space. In general, it is recommended that the cage measure 15 cm above the height of the dog and 15 cm longer than the dog. Also, for height, they should not touch the ears.
Therefore, it is necessary to appeal to your good judgment. Consider the size your dog gets to measure and ask for tips on using the cage to a professional. However, large dog cages are sometimes equipped with a partition that can be used to reduce space when your pet is still a puppy.
How are you going to use your cage? It is the first question that you have to ask yourself. If you travel by plane often, opt for a cage approved by the airlines.
If your dog is gonna travel by car, the small plastic cage may be a better option. In case you know in advance that you will use it on a regular basis the cage, the folding cage could adapt to your needs.
- Resistance to Rust
Another crucial fact is the resistance to rust. So go for that model that comes with a protective layer of special paint. Hence, this coating is necessary for immunity to rust.
No matter the size and temperament of your dog, safety is an important factor to consider. It must have practical safety features, including locks and locking door handle, which allow the cage to be easily opened and closed.
- Ventilation for security
The next essential factor you shouldn’t compromise is its solid ventilation. In a word, it’s for your dog comfort and well-being. The poorly ventilated cage can become stagnant and damp very quickly. And it will be the reason for bacterial proliferation.
- Easiness of Cleaning
It’s pretty obvious that there will be lots of waste and dirt. So cleaning is must, you can’t deny it. So look for those cages that have removable trays. It can make your life easier. By this, you can give a clean place in a quick time.
- What Should I Consider?
Keep in mind the lengths or measurements of the dog before going to the store. To do this measure from the tip of your head to the ground, to that extent, add between 3 to 5 centimeters.
Then measure from the snout to the end of the tail, to the extent obtained you will add between 10 to 13 centimeters. The idea of these increases horizontally and vertically is to offer enough space to the dog so that it can stand and turn easily inside.
Now, you can also choose a space even larger than those dimensions; the important thing is that the head of the dog does not touch or hit the top wall of the cage and can enter and leave it without problems.
But we do not stop warning you that if the cage is very large, you will run the risk that the dog at one end will do his / her own needs and at another one lie down to sleep or take a nap.
Heavy Duty Dog Metal Crate – Advantages and Disadvantages
A metal cage is characterized by walls and grid roofs and a removable plastic tray inside that functions as a floor. Depending on the model, it can be folded or not for storage. The positive points are the good ventilation they provide and the opportunity in turn to guarantee the dog visibility. They are quite resistant and durable cages.
If your pet is naughty and likes to bite everything in its path, it can hardly with its structure. They are versatile in the sense that you can keep them uncovered, with visibility for your pet or put a blanket on them and give them a little privacy if the animal so demands.
However, one of the downside aspects of is the weight, which in turn prevents moving easily with the opposite of a stroller for dogs.
Here is an Updated List of the Best Heavy Duty Dog Crates in 2021
As dog kennel is a necessary object for your dog safety, you should be choosy to pick a heavy duty crate for more security. On the other hand, you have to invest a decent amount of money to buy it. Thus, various manufacturers tend to offer a wide range of crate in different functionality and capacity.
Therefore, our expert team gave hours of testing and researches to find out the best one from the market.
1. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage, Editor’s Pick
- Dimensions: 41.25" H x 42.25" W x 30.75" L
- 20-Gauge Steel Cage – This ProSelect Empire dog cage is extremely strong with reinforced 0.5-inch diameter steel tubes and 20-gauge steel
- Large-Sized Cage – (41 - 70 lbs)
- Floor Grate With Tray – Cleanup is easy with this ProSelect dog cage because of its grated floor with tray
- Removable Casters – You can attach casters to the bottom of the cage to allow for easily rolling the cage to other locations or leave the casters off for added stability
Can’t handle your aggressive dog? Then meet the quite possibly the earth’s strongest dog cages. This ProSelect Empire Dog Cage is specially designed for aggressive and powerful dogs.
It features solid dual door latches. Meanwhile, sturdy steel tubing and strong welding at stress points make it so solid. The heavy duty dog crate is one of the best dog kennels which took our heart.
The noteworthy feature is the metal structure of the crate that is quite strong against the movements, bites, and scratches. Clean is simple because of its granulated floor with tray.
In a sense, The ProSelect Empire Dog Cage an educational resource for your new puppy. The cage is a tool to teach your dog to do his needs. In a word. This ProSelect Empire Dog Cage is a cage with reinforcing standards and the establishment of boundaries within the home.
This amazing crate is extremely sturdy with reinforced 0.5-inch steel tubes along with 20-gauge steel. It has portable casters that allow you to move or transfer it easily. Eventually, that portable caster added stability.
What We Liked
- Portable casters to added mobility
- Durable but lightweight enough
- Four portable locking systems
- Easy cleaning with thick steel and strong latches
What We Didn’t Like:
- The wheels are not strong enough
- Not suitable for an anxious dog
2. Extra Large Double Door Metal Dog Crate, MidWest Homes SL54DD
- Dog Crate is double door configuration w/ sturdy drop-pin assembly. Includes easy to clean / removable tray & patent pending "L-Bar" safety feature
- Durable metal dog crate design w/ 3 heavy duty secure slide-bolt latches per door | Please note this is an XXL dog crate & requires 2 people for assembly
- Drop-pin construction ensures strong & secure dog crate assembly & patented "L" bar on top panel reinforces the dog crate side panels to prevent them bowing inward after assembly. Pan Stop Allows Pan To Be Removed With Doors Closed
- Protective E-coProtective E-coat finish prevents rust for long lasting use & dog crate includes MidWest Guarentee 1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty at finish prevents rust for long lasting use & wire dog crate includes 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
Ok, deep breath. It’s time to introduce an amazing crate for your giant dog weighing over 90 pounds. this MidWest Homes for Pets XXL Giant Dog Crate is Best Dog Crates for Large Dogs
This MidWest Homes Dog Crate specially designed for extra-large dog breeds. So far it is one of the Highest rated large dog crates on the market right.
This modern metal dog cage features a two door design with suitable front and side door. Your pet can enter and exit comfortably. In the same way, you adapt it inside the enclosure as well as the accessories available for your comfort and entertainment.
Giant double door metal crate is 54L x 37W x 45H Inches with the weighs 80.2 pounds. To give maximum safety and security, the custom dog crate features four drop pin construction.
It is a cage of thick iron wires, finished under the technique of electrophoresis, a procedure that prevents deterioration, provides greater durability and beauty. The two access doors make it easier to contact the entire surface.
What We Liked
- Ensure more comfort
- Four drop pin construction to ensure durability and safety
- Safe slide bolt latches for heavy duty and protection
- Double door metal cage for easy access
- Dog crate for the medium and large dog
What We Didn’t Like:
- Not collapsible
- Huge size makes it inconvenient
3. Two Door Indoor Outdoor Pet & Animal Kennel with Tray, SmithBuilt PET-CAGE-Z48
- Premium-grade construction: Commercial-quality steel construction provides a heavy-duty, solid framed pet crate expertly crafted and designed to keep pets safe and comfortable. Built-to-last, animal cage features a 3/4" frame reinforced with 1/2" diameter (20 gauge) welded steel tubes for top to bottom strength and durability.
- Convenient two-door design: Great for puppies, growing pets, and energetic breeds; this kennel features both top and side door access. The front door locks with two slide-bolt latches, and the crate top with one.
- Rolling with locking wheels: Includes four rolling casters for easy transfer from room to room. Two wheels have locks to prevent accidental movement and keep your cage securely in place.
- Rust & corrosion-resistant: Featuring a multi-layer, protective hammer-tone coating that resists rust, corrosion, and fading, this cage is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Removable pan for easy cleaning: Tray is stain and rust resistant and won't retain pet odors. Grated design allows for any soiling to drop to the lower pan to maintain a clean environment for pets. Bottom pan features an integrated lip around the perimeter to contain any mess from spilling outside the kennel. Both trays are held securely in place by a retaining latch to prevent slipping, but can easily slide out from the bottom for easy and convenient cleaning.
When you need professional performance what could be better than SmithBuilt Crate. Built-to-last, dog cage comes with 3/4″ frame reinforced and 1/2″ diameter welded steel tubes for durability and strength. Meanwhile, this kennel is great for growing pets, puppies and energetic breeds.
It is a premium-grade construction with Commercial-quality steel. That why it provides a solid frame, heavy-duty pet crate to keep your pet comfortable and safe. Featuring both front and side door access, it is one of the best pet cages for both indoor and outdoor pet.
What makes it so unique? Well, it is the removal pan for quick and easy cleaning. However, the tray is rust and stain resistant. As a result, won’t retain dog odors.
The noteworthy advantage of this crate is the corrosion-resistant feature. That means it has a multi-layer of hammer-tone coating. Thus, this coating resists corrosion, rust, and fading. Additionally, it includes four rolling casters for smooth transport from room to room.
What We Liked:
- Easy and convenient cleaning
- Commercial-quality steel construction
- Very easy to maneuver
- Protective hammer-tone coating
- Provide a clean environment
What We Didn’t Like:
- Poor Locks quality
- The lower tray is not secure enough
4. iCrate Single Door & Double Door Folding, MidWest Homes for Pets 1536U
- Medium / large single door folding dog crate ideal for dogs w/ adult weight of 41 to 70 pounds, convenient divider panel allows crate to expand as your dog grows, iCrate measures 36 length x 23 width x 25 height inches
- Your dog's home while you're away from home: Durable design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & caters to your dog’s natural “den” instincts
- Safe & Secure Home: Two heavy duty slide bolt latches firmly locks dog crate door in place keeping Your dog safely inside their dog crate
- Easy assembly & portable design: Sets up in seconds w/ no tools required for assembly & folds flat for convenient storage or travel, roller feet protect hardwoods, make repositioning easy
MidWest is the Top brand that stands for something more. They are the market leader who started its journey 90 years ago. Like other MidWest product, this iCrate undergoes rigorous testing for industry-leading quality assurance.
A kennel provides den-like personal space for your puppy like his own home. It helps with potty training, housebreaking, as well as reducing unwanted behaviors such as barking and chewing.
This midwest homes for pets dog crate measures 36L x 23W x 25H inches. It is a single door dog crate and is perfect dog crate for medium dog breeds. It comes with a durable dog tray and free divider panel.
On the other hand, this 22-pound crate has the roller feet which protect the floor. The 36″ crate comes with a plastic leak-proof pan. So it is super easy to clean up.
Meanwhile, the strong plastic carrying handle makes it portable and easy to move an item. Furthermore, the patented side clips reinforce the dog crate and reduce the sharp point for safe experience.
What We Liked:
- Strong frame construction
- Comes with one-year warranty
- It has adequate space
- Amazing secure slide-bolt latches
- Suitcase-style carrying
What We Didn’t Like:
- The locking system is not satisfactory
- The poor plastic material on the pan
5. Life Stages LS-1636DD Double Door 36″ Folding Crate
- Double door folding metal dog crate, Life Stages measures 36L x 23W x 25H inches & is suitable for intermediate dog breeds
- Versatile 2 door dog crate includes a free divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, "roller" feet to protect floors & a “MidWest Quality ” 1 year manufacturer's . Note, we manufacture the iCrate and the Life Stages Dog Crate. The main difference is the Life Stages is made of heavier gauge steel and has a tighter wire mesh making it stronger than iCrate
- Two heavy duty slide bolt latches (per door) securely lock dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their pet home
- Easy assembly & portable dog crate | Sets up in seconds w/ no tools required for assembly & dog crate folds flat for convenient storage or travel
- Durable design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & provides for your dog's instinctual "den" instincts. Patented rounded corner clips greatly reduce possible sharp points your dog's crate for a safer experience for you & your dog
The Midwest life stages crate & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate is a 33-pound kennel beauty which offers a den-like place to your puppy. Measuring 36L x 24W x 27H inches, this Midwest life stages crate is perfect for large dog as well as one of the best portable dog crate.
One great advantage of this crate is its easy assembly. You can set in just a second without any additional tool. Versatile 2-door dog cage includes an awesome free delivery panel. Meanwhile, this crate is made of the heavier gauge steel.
The best thing about this kennel is the roller feet which protect the floor. Two heavy duty latches securely lock cage door in the right place. Patented clips are the rounded corner, greatly minimize possible sharp point. Therefore, it ensures a safer experience for the dog.
Like other Midwest crates, his one also comes with a divider panel to use while your doggy is growing. Meanwhile, this divider panel allows adjusting the length of the inner dimension while your puppy grows. One excellent advantage is its portable size. Hence, plastic carrying handles make it so comfortable to move the cage from one location to another easily.
What We Liked:
- Quick fold and carry system
- Extremely easy to remove the plastic pan
- Convenient storage
- Safe rounded corner
- Plastic leak-proof pan
What We Didn’t Like:
- Clips are not fully close
- Latches are not close so easily
6. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
- DOG AIR TRAVEL KENNEL: This medium dog travel kennel features tie-down strap holes, wire vents for ventilation & a raised interior to keep pets safe and comfortable. For medium dogs 20-30 lbs. Measures: 28"
- AIRLINE-ADAPTABLE: This dog crate meets most airline cargo specifications. Made with heavy duty recycled plastic material and features an easy-open front latch to quickly access pets.
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel into on our best dog crate for air travel for its amazing eco-friendly plastic material. This Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel is wide enough to give more comfort to your pet. It features a top entry flexible door which allows easy entrance of the dog. This Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel is one the Excellent Plastic Dog Crate for travel
Your pet can enjoy fresh air because of its vented sides and ventilation for easy air passage. Ergonomic handle and easy-squeeze door latches ensure comfort for your dogs. It is perfect for training of small dogs or puppies. Moreover, the cheap dog crate is matching perfectly with your home office furniture.
If you want comfortable traveling this lightweight dog crate is highly recommended for you. It is also airline approved pet carrier. The pet door is very flexible because it features easy-squeeze latches that are easily opened with one hand. Above all, the sturdy steel door and a plastic wall are safe enough for your pets.
What We Liked
- Made of heavy-duty plastic and wire
- Ventilation for healthy air
- Airline approved pet carrier
- Perfect for small dogs like Pomeranian
- Also perfect for cats
- Secure for traveling anywhere
What We Didn’t Like:
- May not durable enough
- Inner space is not enough
7. Ulitma Pro Metal Dog Crate
- Product dimensions – 37” L x 24.75” W x 28” H | Weight – 43 lbs. | For dogs with a weight between – 41 to 70 lbs. | Mesh – 1.5” x 4” | Wire gauge – 3, 7, 9, 11
- Convenient double door (front & right side) dog crate configuration with two slide-bolt latches per door securely locking doors in place
- Dog crate folds flat for convenient storage, travel & portability | Ultra strong crate design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away
- Ultima Pro is the strongest, thickest wire gauge & most durable metal dog crate MidWest Homes for Pets manufactures | This dog crate is great for strong dogs, show dogs & pet parents who travel a lot with their dog and use their dog crate often
Ulitma Pro Metal Dog Crate Creates not a cage but makes a Home for your furry.
When choosing a kennel, pick one that will offer adequate space when your puppy reaches the adult size. The growth is natural and changing it time to time is not a great idea. It may be a bit uncomfortable for your little puppy. This Divider Panel, Pro Metal Dog Crate of Midwest, can be the perfect solution for you.
One of the unique features of this crate is its folding divider panel which is pretty easy to install. All you have to do is just simple choose the correct size of the cage that your dog requires when it has its adult size.
Another great thing about this crate is you can set and fold down it within a second. And the amazing thing is no tools required. The Easy-to-attach handle is made from plastic. As a result, it’s quite easy to transport.
The side and front door access grant for versatile placement in your car or home. Hence, The plastic pan is easy-to-clean and easy-to-remove.
What We Liked:
- Two Door Access
- Easily adjustable
- Include Leak-Proof Plastic Pan
- Convenient access/double door
- Travel and portability
What We Didn’t Like:
- It’s quite heavy
- The end clip is not satisfactory
8. Walcut Heavy Duty Strong Metal Pet Dog Cage
- ★ 48 INCH HEAVY DUTY LARGE CRATES- Heavy duty steel frame, strong and durable. Overall Dimensions: 48.8"L X 33"W X 37" H Door Dimensions: 27.4" H X 18.9" W
- ★ EASY TO CLEAN & MOVE-The two removable bottom trays, a washable metal pan and a floor grate, make clean up more conveniently. The Caster increase the mobility of cage. Two front wheels have locks so it can prevent accidental movement and keep cage securely in place.It could be foldable and take to travel or any other places.
- ★ DOUBLE DOOR & LACHES DESIGN-This dog cage features both top and side door access. It is not only suitable for big dog in and out but also convenient for owner to feed. Heavy duty slide-bolt latch securely locks dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their pet home.
- ★ FIT FOR DOGS- Afghan; Bloodhound; Doberman Pinscher; Greyhound; Otterhound; Akita ; Bouvier Des Flandres; Dogue De Bordeaux; Komondor; Rottweiler; Alaskan Malamute; Briard; German Shepherd; Kuvasz; Samoyed; Anatolian Shepherd; Bullmastiff; Giant Schnauzer; Newfoundland; Siberian Husky; Bernese Mountain Dog; Collie; Greyhound; Old English Sheepdog; Weimaraner;
- ★CRATES FOR DOGS INDOOR AND OUTDOOR: Foldable and stowed, can be used outdoors and indoors
Looking for a doggy kennel which is sturdy but lightweight?
This Walcut Heavy Duty crate made off with sturdy steel frame yet is very lightweight. This durable steel frame makes it heavy duty dog crate on our list. This crate fits for the dog like Greyhound; Afghan; Doberman pinscher; Akita; and Komondor. Also, it is suitable for German shepherd; Weimaraner, Bullmastiff; Siberian husky; and Bernese mountain dog.
It features four portable casters, 2 of them has a lock system to prevent the accidental move. Hence, its finish prevents the canine from suffering any injury because the corners are rounded.
Latches, weld points, and sharp edges are well polished, so you do not hurt yourself while exploring your new enclosure. Also features double door and latches so the pet can enter and exit without problems. The lockable design will prevent from accidental moving.
The most admired thing about this cage is both side and top door access. As a result, it is not only perfect for the dog in but also flexible for the owner to feed. Meanwhile, there are grated floor and steel tray on the base of the cage that allows you to slide them easily.
What We Liked:
- Easy to assemble
- High quality, strong and durable
- Easy cleaning and easy access
- Double door and latches for easy access
What We Didn’t Like:
- Uncomfortable elevated wire floor
- Awful wheels
But using a cage for dogs has many other very interesting benefits, a cage prevents the young puppy from playing pranks while we cannot be watching and forces him to chew only those objects that we have given him.
Also, it is ideal to transport in the car, avoiding fines and protecting it in a possible breaking or accident. And of course, if we are traveling, it will be an ideal bed to take the dog to any hotel or house of friends.
The cages are also very practical also if we ever have to leave him in a residence or hotel. Since there may be the occasion that someday we have to leave him in one of these places, having his cage, the dog will feel much more comfortable in his cage.
It will also make this temporary separation much more bearable for him.
We understand that Due to the various range of product, you are a bit confused about what is Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate for you. Well, don’t worry!
In fact, we are here to highlight product and services that can satisfy you with your needs. We consider all essential smart features and experiment the product when recommended for you. So, don’t hesitate when choosing the right product for the right dog that you own.
While all the crates on our Reviews are superb, we think the MidWest Homes for Pets Dog Crate above the rest. It has some noteworthy features and benefits which can be a sweet home for the puppy. We hope this article will be handy on your next buy. Thanks for being with us.