Which is the Best Dry Dog Food for Chihuahuas? – It’s a common asking of most of the Chihuahua owner. This review will help you to find the answer.
Chihuahuas have some unique dietary needs. They are also very picky about their foods. Moreover, there are certainly many different options on the market nowadays. So, to pick the best dog food to meet all of the nutritional needs of this small breed is not an easy task.
Fortunately, that’s where we come to help you.
In this review, you’ll find 5 top-quality dog foods, all of which are well suited to smaller breeds.
Let’s jump in.
- Factors to Consider When Buying the Dog Food for Chihuahuas
- List of the Best Dry Dog Food for Chihuahuas in 2021
Factors to Consider When Buying the Dog Food for Chihuahuas
Chihuahuas are picky eaters and food selective. So, finding the best puppy or adult food for a Chihuahua is crucial. You need to pay attention to some factors when shopping for good dog food for Chihuahua. The most important factors are:
The most important thing when selecting the best Chihuahua dog food is to look at the ingredients. This small breed dog needs protein in their diet. As long as your Chihuahua doesn’t have any dietary issues, choose a formula with meat source listed as the first ingredient. Avoid the food that just lists “meat” and low-quality animal by-products.
- Age Recommendation
There are different formulas for puppy and adult Chihuahuas. While choosing food for small breed dogs, the first thing you should consider is age recommendation. To ensure the optimum nutrition for your tiny-sized dog, it’s a crucial factor.
- Kibble size
These small breeds have small-sized sensitive jaw and relatively less jaw strength. So, pay extra attention to the kibble size when buying the best dog food for Chihuahua puppy and adult. The right kibble size is an essential factor to help promote overall mouth health.
- Dry food vs. Wet food
Decide what kinds of food- dry or wet- works best for your pooch and you too. Although it’s an individual factor, pay attention what your tiny dog tend to eat (wet or dry) and what you’re comfortable to feed. Dry foods help your Chihuahuas to chew without staining their jaws. However, if your pooch doesn’t eat much when you serve kibble, try topping it with wet formula.
All dogs have different preferences and taste. Importantly, food flavors play a significant role when it comes to choosing the best dog food for picky eaters. So, first, observe what flavor your pup likes. Then choose wisely from the natural flavors coming straight from it ingredient- chicken, lamb, fish oil and so on. Also, be prepared to try a different flavor before making the final choice. What’s more important, avoid artificial flavors
What DO Chihuahuas EAT?
In fact, this small breed is very selective in their foods. However, Chihuahua’s first primary choice is meat. That means you can serve them beef, pup chicken, fish, lamb or pork depending on their preference. However, it should be fed a healthy amount. As long, there’s 40% meat on their diet; it’s on a better track.
Chihuahuas also eat fresh foods like egg, offal, etc. They can chew on things like pig ears, chicken necks, and feet. Moreover, they even can get small bits of cheese, potato or sweet potato. What’s important, for their healthiest growth you can serve them anything animal-based that isn’t very fatty. You can also feed them kibble based diet.
What Human Food Can Chihuahuas Eat? What They Can’t Eat?
Some human foods are safe and healthy for Chihuahuas to eat, while others are harmful.
The list of human food that a Chihuahua can eat and can’t eat:
|Can Eat||Can Eat (Limit)||Can’t Eat|
|Egg, beef, turkey, pork, chicken||Cheese||Macadamia Nuts|
|Salmon||Cashews||Raw Yeast Dough|
|Carrot, potatoes, sweet potato||Cherries||Lemons and Limes|
|Grapes, banana, orange, mango, apple||Peanuts, Almonds, Macadamia Nuts||Nutmeg|
|Celery, Broccoli, Mushrooms||Honey||Garlic|
|Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries||Cinnamon||Coffee and Tea|
|Rice, Popcorn, oatmeal, green peas, Corn, bread||Tomato||Avacado, onion|
List of the Best Dry Dog Food for Chihuahuas in 2021
1. Wellness Core Adult Dry Dog Food
- SMALL BREED DRY DOG FOOD: Optimal protein levels and calorie content to help support the higher energy needs of small breed dogs
- ENJOY A LIFETIME OF WELLBEING: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients small breed dogs needs to thrive; no meat by-products, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- FIND THE RIGHT FOOD: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
Are you looking for buying a protein-rich complete and balanced food for everyday nutrition for your Chihuahuas? Then, this formula from Wellness Core can be a good choice.
This food is 100% grain free. So, you can help your dog to avoid any potential digestive issues and keep the calories at a reasonable level.
In terms of nutritional composition, there is 54% high-quality protein ingredient. This percentage is enough to meet your pooch’s high energy needs. Furthermore, it’s also rich in Glucosamine to support healthy hip and joint. The formula also helps to improve skin and coat health.
In summary, you won’t go wrong by choosing this all-natural formula with great ingredients.
2. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- This dry puppy food uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your small breed dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balance of minerals to promote strong bones and healthy teeth
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Mix up meal time with our convenient, single serve tray Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Savory Stew with Chicken and Vegetables
While searching for the best Chihuahua dog food, we find that Hill’s Science diet is unbeatable. This premium quality natural formula is made in the USA that you can trust.
The analysis shows the formula offers balanced nutrition for puppies up to 1-year-old that weigh up to 25 pounds when fully grown. Hill’s Science Diet includes high quality, natural and easy-to-digest ingredients. There are also vitamins, minerals and amino acids that complete the formula.
This formula uses high-quality fish oil that supports a healthy brain. It also ensures eye development and learning ability. It contains balanced minerals that help to promote strong teeth and bones. Additionally, its high-quality protein helps to build lean muscles.
What’s more, this diet doesn’t use any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Overall, it’s a complete meal for your to-sized companion.
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Adult Formula
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- SMALL BREED DOG FOOD: Specially formulated for small breed dogs, BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed dry dog food contains increased levels of protein and carbohydrates to meet the energy needs of smaller dogs with kibble size ideal for smaller jaws
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives. Start by mixing 25% of BLUE with your dog's old food, and gradually increase the proportion of BLUE over the next 14 days
- Contains one (1) 15 lb Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken and Brown Rice
Here’s another excellent formula for a Chihuahua that’s made by the popular Blue Buffalo brand. This brand is re-known for providing a wide range of healthy and popular dog foods. Fortunately, this natural adult small breed dry dog food is no exception.
This food comes with BLUE Life Protection Formula which is specially formulated for the wellness of adult small breed dogs. The increased levels of protein and carbohydrates of this formula are beneficial to meet the essential nutrition that small breed requires.
In terms of protein, feature real meat as the first ingredient. This high-quality protein helps your little pooch to build and maintain healthy muscles. Additionally, it doesn’t contain any corn, wheat, soy or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals.
However, it does come with wholesome whole grains, garden veggies, and fruit. All of these ingredients have something beneficial to offer your small breed dog.
To sum up, it’s one of the best dog foods for adult Chihuahua.
4. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Dry Dog Food
- One (1) 18 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Small Breed Puppy Food DHA Chicken & Rice Formula
- High in protein to meet the needs of highly active small dogs
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- Used to be known as FOCUS Chicken & Rice Formula
Fortunately, we’ve got this excellent small breed puppy formula from Purina Pro Plan. It receives excellent reviews and recommendation from Chihuahua owners. It’s fairly one of the best dog food for Chihuahua with a sensitive stomach.
This dry formula features real salmon or lamb as the #1 ingredient. It also contains rice and oatmeal which helps to maintain the health of a dog with digestive issues. It is also rich in antioxidants that help to support a puppy’s developing immune system.
Purina Pro Plan also takes care of your puppy’s teeth and bones by providing phosphorous, calcium and other minerals. Finally, thanks to its smaller kibble which are perfect to suit the smaller mouth this tiny-sized dog.
5. Royal Canin Chihuahua Adult Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Chihuahua Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Chihuahuas 8 months and older
- Exclusive tailor-made kibble helps Chihuahuas easily pick up and chew their food
- Helps reduce stool odor with highly digestible proteins and precise fiber content
- Supports coat health with omega-3 EPA and DHA and biotin
- High palatability with exceptional aromas and flavors to satisfy picky appetites
If you have Chihuahua of 8 months or older and he (she) is very picky about food, then this formula from Royal Canin is a great option to meet its nutritional needs.
The formula promises to deliver highly digestible proteins and precise fiber content. There are also biotin, omega-3 EPA and DHA – all of which contribute to maintain healthy skin and coat.
In addition, its exclusive tailor-made kibbles are convenient for the small breed dog to pick and chew. Overall, it’ll be a great option to meet the picky appetites of your little furry friend. He/ she must love the exceptional aromas and flavors of this formula.
Hope, this reviews of Best Dry Dog Food for Chihuahuas have helped you a lot to pick the right food for this world’s smallest recognized dog breed.
You should introduce any food into your dog’s diet gradually.
Don’t forget to monitor your dog’s reaction and any adverse effect of their food.
Enjoy feeding your little furry family member!